Monday, February 3, 2014

Forgetting Those Things Which are Behind: Yes, Even the Good

Philippians 3: 13 reads: "Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching toward those things which are ahead. ."

Upon reading this passage, you may think (as I have always thought), "Yes! I am to forget my past because Jesus has washed me clean of it and forgiven me- I am not who I used to be. It is time to move ahead to what He has made me to be." This is very true, but it is not all that is true of this passage. As a matter of fact, we are also called to leave behind even those good things from our past as well.

That's Crazy!!!

Yes, it seems so! This is exactly what I thought the first time I was told that two years ago at youth camp by the speaker who was striving to impart wisdom into my 18 year old soul. God has done so many amazing things in me, I thought, how can I forget? It doesn't seem right. So, the idea was pushed away into the back of my mind until recently, and rightly so because I do believe I would not have been able to understand until recent circumstances. But, here is the whole truth:

The God who has done so much in you thus far is the same God now. The Jesus you knew and discovered then is the same now, yet that is not all He is! You must not remain in the past, but allow Him to bring you into your future. 

Paul continues: "I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Therefore let us, as many as are mature, have this mind; and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal this to you. Nevertheless, to the degree that we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us be of the same mind." ~verses 14-16

"To the degree that we have already attained. . " I do not think we are called to utterly cease to remember all God has done for us, but I believe we are not made to dwell there. I will not be 18 forever, I am not even 18 now. God is able to do exceedingly and abundantly more than what He has before, and I believe He will. I know not the half of it! Neither do you for your own life.

Praise God for what He has done, but reach for what He will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment